Over time, Mini models may experience failure of their automatic transmission. Without a transmission, you cannot go anywhere in your vehicle. An automatic transmission is classified as a multi-speed transmission that is routinely used in a motor vehicle that does not require a driver's effort or attention to change gears.
This automatic transmission consists of many moving parts that must work together to successfully change gears as you either speed up, slow down, or need to reverse your Mini Cooper.
Commonly reported automatic transmission failure warning signs
Finding yourself stranded with a failing or failed automatic transmission in your Mini Cooper can be quite frustrating. Not only does this leave you stuck with a vehicle that cannot go anywhere but it also leaves you with a lingering hefty repair bill.
As with any failing part of Minis, there are a few common warning signs that may alert drivers to a problem coming.
● Altered transmission fluid: Transmission fluid is responsible for lubricating all parts of the transmission and also acts as a coolant. It is commonly red or green, depending on which type and brand purchased. Transmission fluid aids in cleaning the metal surfaces and providing a protective layer as well. A transmission fluid leak is a major sign of an arising transmission problem. Transmission fluid must stay clean and the reservoir tank remains full for the transmission to remain lubricated.
● Difficulty in shifting gears: As a driver of a Mini with an automatic transmission, you are not required to put forth any effort to switch gears as you accelerate to a higher or lower rate of speed. However, if you begin to experience a jerking or hesitation of your vehicle when it is automatically shifting through the gears, this is a commonly reported warning sign of a transmission issue.
● Vibrations: Shaking and vibrations upon acceleration is a symptom that may alert drivers to a transmission problem.
● Engine overheating: When a transmission is not able to function properly, it adds excessive stress to the engine resulting in overheating. It is important that you not continue to drive a vehicle with an overheating engine as this can lead to total engine failure.
Commonly Reported Causes of a Failing Transmission in Minis
Like other parts of your vehicle, the automatic transmission of your Mini Cooper requires routine maintenance to remain functioning appropriately. Wear and tear are common among automatic transmissions, as it is used every time your vehicle is accelerating, decelerating, or reversing.
The most common causes reported among drivers of Mini Coopers concerning the vehicle’s automatic transmission consist of:
● damaged, worn, or broken belt
● failing interior seals
● solenoid failure
While these are among the most commonly reported automatic transmission problems, any part of the transmission can fail at any point in time. It is important that drivers follow through on manufacturing recommended routine maintenance.
M Service, providing services and repairs since 1984, quickly became the go-to European auto shop of Walnut Creek, CA. We specialize in the service and repairs of Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Mini Cooper, Land Rover, and Porsche.
We are Walnut Creek’s leaders in European auto maintenance and repairs and provide these services to all our customers:
● Same day services
● Complimentary shuttle services
● Flexible financing options
● After hours dropbox
● Complimentary WiFi while you wait
Our ASE-Certified Technicians are committed to quality and friendly customer service. We are experts in common maintenance and routine services such as: oil changes, check-engine light inspections, computer diagnostics, brake repair, transmission service and repair, and much more.
At M Service, we stand by the services we provide. The work of our certified technicians is backed with a 24-month / 24,000-mile warranty. We care for the well-being of our customers and ensuring the lifespan of their European vehicles. In saying that, we provide courtesy engine-light checks to determine the cause of your illuminated check-engine light.
Should you find yourself in need of routine maintenance or emergency repairs for your European automobile, call, stop by, or complete an online request form to schedule an appointment. Allow us to show you why we are the best in the area for your MINI brand model or European brand you need to maintain or service.