The driveshaft utilizes torque from your Porsche's engine to turn its wheels. The driveshaft has a support that holds it into place and prevents it from moving during operation. As insignificant as your driveshaft support may seem, it plays a crucial role in your Porsche's overall performance.
A failed driveshaft support can cause several issues in your Porsche, including poor vehicle handling and in extreme cases, a broken driveshaft. Knowing the symptoms to look out for in defective driveshaft support will go a long way in preventing the complete breakdown of the driveshaft.
Discussed below are the symptoms to help diagnose defective driveshaft support in your Porsche.
● Intense driveshaft vibrations: This is a common sign when diagnosing a failing Porsche driveshaft support. The vibration is usually due to the failure of the driveshaft support, resulting in the free movement of the driveshaft during operation. When your Porsche's driveshaft support fails either due to a torn rubber bearing or poorly held into place, it will cause the driveshaft's vibration.
● Unusual noise: An unusual noise is another common way to diagnose a failing Porsche driveshaft support. The unusual sound will occur if the components that make up the driveshaft support break down. Since the support also performs the function of a bearing to the driveshaft, its failure will result in a similar sound as that of a failed bearing. Hence, it produces a clanking, squeaking, rattling, or scraping noise. Whenever you hear such noises, it may signify that your Porsche's driveshaft support has failed.
● Broken driveshaft: The driveshaft support is meant to hold it in place and prevent its movement while in operation. When the support fails, it results in the movement of the driveshaft, and if not rectified, it could cause the driveshaft to break. When you have a broken driveshaft, your vehicle can't utilize the torque from your engine and transmission to turn the wheels, leaving you stranded.
● Burning smells: The failure of the driveshaft support causes premature wear of the driveshaft. This could cause the damaged or prematurely worn components to overheat, resulting in a burning smell. Anytime you smell a burning odor from your vehicle, you should have it checked because it is never a good sign.
● Shuddering acceleration: Another symptom of a failed driveshaft support is that your vehicle shudders when accelerating. Aside from shuddering acceleration, your Porsche may also shudder when you attempt to stop the car. The shudders may also be accompanied by the unusual noises discussed above. If you notice any of the symptoms discussed above, contact a specialized Porsche technician to rectify the issue. Leaving the symptoms unattended could cause damage to your driveshaft.
Causes of a Failed Driveshaft Support in a Porsche
Although the driveshaft support has a long life span, natural wear and tear is a major cause of its failure. Since the support is located under the vehicle undercarriage, it is exposed to road imperfections that impact its longevity.
Knowing how to diagnose a failed Porsche driveshaft will go a long way in ensuring your vehicle's reliability and preserving the longevity of your driveshaft. The driveshaft's rubber can become brittle and crack over time. You should get the support replaced when it wears out to avoid damaging your driveshaft. Your Porsche's driveshaft should also be adequately lubricated to prevent damage to the driveshaft.
If your vehicle is always in constant use, it is essential to have it regularly inspected, so you will know when the driveshaft support needs replacement. It is best to contact a Porsche specialist for the diagnosis and repair of your driveshaft support.
M Service Has You Covered
If you have a damaged driveshaft support or need a certified Porsche auto shop, M Service has got you covered. We provide repair services for various luxury sports car brands, including Audi, BMW, Land Rovers, Mercedes, Mini, Volkswagen, and Porsche.
Our range of services includes AC repair, brake maintenance, check engine light, clutch repair, oil change services, transmission, and suspension services, and more.
We have certified mechanics who have vast experience and training to provide professional repair services in Walnut Creek, CA and the surrounding areas. Contact M Service today to get fast, reliable, and long-lasting automobile repair services.
* Porsche Car image credit goes to: helivideo.